Insurance companies are becoming more involved in
wood stove installation, get the standards here.
Use only seasoned
wood in your stove!
|A reminder to have your inspections performed by WETT certified professionals|
|When you burn, do it safely|
We start with the safe installation of your wood heating appliance. Clearances and materials to ensure your safety are discussed and shown.
Burning wood is like anything else you do. If you put garbage in, expect garbage to come out. It is important to use good quality and well seasoned wood to obtain optimum performance from your appliance.
What Is WETT Inc.?
Who Are WETT-Trained Professionals?
To become a WETT-trained professional requires the completion of one of WETT Inc.’s educational streams. Training consists of a minimum of four days of formal training followed by written examinations. Before WETT certificates are issued, a minimum of 80 weeks of related field experience must be declared. Some types of certified professionals include woodburning appliance installers and inspectors, hearth retail representatives,insurance inspectors, fire safety professionals, chimney sweeps and municipal inspectors.
What Does it Mean to Be WETT Certified?
To be certified by WETT Inc. means that the professional has completed the necessary training programs and has declared 80 weeks of related field experience. Once certified, the professional agrees to abide by WETT Inc.’s strict Code of Ethics. To maintain certification, certificate holders must complete continuing education requirements and renew their membership annually.
Once they are WETT trained, certificate holders have the right to use the WETT Inc.name and logo in their advertising. It is important to note that WETT Inc. certifies individuals – not companies. Consumers should ask if the person whom they intend to hire is certified and ask to see his or her WETT identification card.
What Type of WETT Trained Professional Do I Need?
WETT training consists of several educational streams, including inspectors, technicians, advisors and chimney sweeps. To determine what type of WETT-trained professional you need, consider the following guidelines: Do you need a basic visual inspection such as for insurance or pre-purchase of a home that is equipped with a wood-burning appliance or fireplace? A basic visual inspection is a general overview of the readily accessible parts of a woodburning system to determine if the system meets current regulations. If this description fits your needs, any WETT certified member is trained to perform a basic visual inspection.
• If you need a more intensive inspection or an evaluation to determine system integrity, contact members listed as WETT-certified technicians or sweeps.
• If your wood-burning system is not functioning properly, is damaged or is causing concerns such as smoke spillage,rapid creosote accumulation, etc., you should contact a WETT-certified technician or sweep.
Why Should I Use a WETT Trained Professional?
To have the full assurance that your wood-burning appliance is installed safely and in accordance with building and fire code requirements, a WETT-trained professional should be consulted.
Safety is paramount, and wood-burning appliances are manufactured to work safely and efficiently when they are installed,used and maintained properly.
Many home insurance companies in Canada require an inspection by a WETT-trained professional before issuing insurance. In addition, many retailers will insist that when wood-burning appliances are sold they must be professionally installed.
How Do I Find a WETT-Trained Professional?
Barrie Home Inspections | Napoleon Home Inspections 705-795-8255 for Barrie and Simcoe county area.
WETT Inspections web site at Barrie Certified WETT Inspections
There are WETT-trained professionals throughout Canada. To find one in your area you can do the following:
• Visit WETT Inc.’s Web site at http://www.wettinc.ca and click the WETT Member search link for a complete list of WETT-trained professionals. Type the name of your town or area,and you will find a chart with the names and contact information of professionals who are certified for the various services that you need.
• Call WETT Inc. toll-free at 1 888 358-WETT (9388).
• Ask certified representative who arrives for your home or property inspection to show proper identification. A WETT-certified professional would be prepared to show you his or her WETT wallet card as proof of certification.
"People love chopping wood. In
this activity one immediately sees