Simcoe County Home Inspector
Barrie Home Inspections is a reputable expert in the Simcoe County real estate market. With over 30 years of experience in the construction and inspection industry Roger Frost has established a reputation for quality and honesty when inspecting homes for prospective buyers.
Need A Home Inspected in Simcoe County?
If you are planning to purchase residential or commercial property and need a home inspection in the Simcoe County area, our qualified Ontario home inspectors will help you to confidently make the right decision. A property inspection conducted by Barrie Home Inspectors will provide you full disclosure before you make a purchase. Also, if you are selling real estate a home inspection report can be an excellent selling tool. With a reputation built on quality, honesty and over 30 years of hands-on home construction, commercial construction, and building inspection experience in Simcoe County, Roger Frost brings expert knowledge and insight to your inspection. Our qualified inspectors will explain to you the condition of your property and indicate what is required to maintain it in top shape.
We are dedicated to delivering an accurate inspection report and use all our expertise and the latest technology. Moisture meters, gas detectors, infrared thermometers, and thorough knowledge of Ontario’s construction codes, along with our vast experience, ensure that our inspections exceed required minimums and provide an accurate analysis of the house or building.
Some of the Items We Inspect
- Proper grading drainage away from house
- No evidence of standing water
- No leaks from septic tank or leech field
- Yard, landscaping, trees and walkways in good condition
- No branches or bushes touching house or overhanging the roof
- Exterior structures (fences, sheds, decks, retaining walls, detached garages) in
good condition, no evidence of termite damage or rotted wood
- Railings on stairs and decks are adequate and secure
- Driveways, sidewalks, patios, entrance landings in good condition, and pitched
away from structure
- Downspout drainage directed away from structure
Exterior of Home
- Ridge and fascia board lines appear straight and level
- Sides of house appear straight, not bowed or sagging
- Window and door frames appear square (especially bowed windows)
- Adequate clearance between ground and wood siding materials (6″ minimum); no wood-to-earth contact
- Siding: no cracking, curling, loose, rot or decay
- Masonry veneers: no cracks in joints, no broken, spalling or flaking components
- Stucco: no large cracks (discuss all stucco cracks with a professional inspector)
- Vinyl or aluminum siding: no dents, damage, no bowing or loose siding
- No vines on surface of structure
- Exterior paint or stain: no flaking or blisters
- No stains or fungus growing on exterior surfaces
Window and Door Trim
- Wood frames and trim pieces are secure, no cracks, rot or decay
- Joints around frames are caulked
- No broken glass (window or storm panes) or damaged screens, no broken double pane, insulated window seals.
- Muntin and mullion glazing compound in good condition
- Storm windows or thermal glass used
- Drip caps installed over windows with cladding.
- Composition shingles: no curling, no cupping, no loss of granulation particulate, no broken, damaged or missing shingles, no more than two layers of roofing.
- Wood shingles or shakes: no mold, rot or decay, no cracked/broken/missing
shingles, no visible curling
- Flat roofs: no obvious patches, no cracks or splits, minimal blisters/”alligatoring” and wrinkles, no silt deposits (indicates improper drainage), sealed tar at flashings
- Flashing around roof penetrations
- No evidence of excess roofing cement/tar/caulk
- Soffits and fascia: no decay, no stains
- Exterior venting for eave areas: vents are clean and not painted over
- Gutters: no decay or rust, joints sealed, attached securely to structure, no bending or sagging, no sections of gutter or downspout missing, gutters clean, no mud deposits
- Chimneys: straight, properly flashed, no evidence of damaged bricks or cracked joints, mortar/cement cap in good condition
Attic Insulation and Structure
- No stains on underside of roofing, especially around roof penetrations
- No evidence of decay or damage to structure
- Sufficient insulation and properly installed insulation (moisture barrier installed closest to the heated area of the house)
- Adequate ventilation, clear path into attic for air entering through soffit vents, adequately sized gable end louvers, all mechanical ventilation operational
- No plumbing, exhaust or appliance vents terminating in attic
- No open electrical connections, where over 1 meter in height cables are required to be supported on board etc.
- Evidence of mouse or rodent traffic in the insulation.
Interior of House
- Floors, walls and ceilings appear straight and plumb and level
- No stains on floors, walls or ceilings
- Flooring materials in good condition
- No significant cracks in walls or ceilings
- Windows and exterior doors operate easily and latch properly, no broken glass, no sashes painted shut, no decay; windows and doors have weather-stripping, “weep holes” installed
- Interior doors operate easily and latch properly, no damage or decay, no broken
- Paint, wall covering, and paneling in good condition
- Wood trim installed well and in good condition
- Lights and switches operate properly
- Adequate number of three pronged electrical outlets in each room
- Electrical outlets test properly (spot check)
- Heating/cooling source in each habitable room
- Evidence of adequate insulation in walls
- Fireplace: no cracking or damaged masonry, no evidence of back-drafting (staining on fireplace facade), damper operates properly, flue has been cleaned, flue is lined ( WETT Inspection if required )
All bathrooms, fixtures, sinks, laundry tubs, furnace, humidifier, hot water tank, sump pump, exhaust fans, GFCI outlets and any other installed system is also inspected.
WETT Certified Inspections for Wood Stoves, Fireplaces and Pellet Stoves. WETT Inspection report issued at time of inspection. Only $100.00 when included with Home Inspection
Contact Roger Frost today for your Simcoe County Home Inspection or building inspection and view our Pricing Policy and our Money Back Guarantee. Rest assured that your inspection report will detail condition of the property you are investing in and ensure lives up to your families expectations